Skip to main content

Motivate Me

I had started this blog with the intention of learning about photography. It had always been an interest of mine and I thought blogging about it would help me stay honest with this new hobby. Plus it was a great way to track my progress.

At first, my voice was that of a novice (which I am), taking slow, wary steps into the world of photography, seeing it through a fresh lens (pardon the pun), hoping to glean some sort of insight from it all and perhaps -- in some miraculous way -- change my life. It's still the case, but ever since my dad passed four months ago, I've put the blog and photography on the back burner. I had zero desire to continue. How could I when my family needs me? Family, and work -- Those were my two main points of focus.


Even now I feel guilty thinking about my passions. How could I even begin to imagine my future when my present is still crumbling? But in my attempt to "be there" for my family, I've lost sight of my path, and I don't know what my motivation is anymore -- with this blog, and everything else.


Maybe that's what this blog is going to become. Not necessarily my journey with photography, but my journey. Period. My search for...whatever it is I'm looking for. And I hope, for the few that read this, you'll stick with me along the way.


I saw an affirmation on Pinterest the other day: Be fearless in pursuit of what sets your soul on fire. 


I want to know what that is for me. I want to be inspired. That's my new goal.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Island Life

Took a much needed week-long vacation to Oahu. I didn't take as many photos as I had wanted. Actually, I only took 3 good ones. Instead, I shot daily vlogs. Enjoy!

The Search

Is it just me... or do you feel like when you start getting into a new hobby, that hobby is the only thing you can think about? Even as I sit at work, trying to put a TV show together, I can't help but wish I could be outside (or inside, or wherever) with my camera, practicing (because lord knows I need the practice). my camera, which I'd mentioned in my first post, is loaded to me by Nick, my boyfriend, given to him by his father. I don't bring it home. It stays at Nick's apartment, on his desk. I can see it now. I really don't pick it up until the weekend, and when I do... I can't let it go. Maybe the fact that I don't see it every day causes me to miss it more. (I still call it, "it," haven't quite given camera a name yet.) Is that weird? Photography has reinvigorated a part of my life that I haven't explored in a while, one that I didn't realize was pushed so far back in my mind. Actually making something from scratch, taking

Day One: Baby Steps

Now, first thing's first (I'm the realest). I know nothing about photography. How many more times can I say, "I know nothing about this 'stuff,'" before I become annoying? I'm starting out with a camera that isn't my own; it's a Nikon D200, borrowed from my boyfriend by way of his father. Lens: Nikon AF Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8 (which weighs about 5 pounds, by the way, and I'm told it's from back in the early 80s). At this point, I figure the best thing I can do with my lack of experience is to get comfortable with the equipment, and to just take as many pictures as possible. We (my boyfriend Nick and I) started out the day by taking the NY Waterway ferry from Jersey City to Wall Street. Can you believe it that I was born and raised on Long Island, went to school at New York University, and work at the New York Stock Exchange, on occasion, and had NEVER explored the southern-most tip of Manhattan? Well, that was about to be rectified. Nic